20 things every 20 something should know!
I turned 27 in April and I’ll be honest, it was not a comfortable feeling. So many thoughts we’re rushing through my mind such as, have a worked hard enough? Am I where I want to be at this age? How much more do I need to do before I’m 30? I was anxious around the time of my birthday. It’s really difficult to not compare yourself to others and to be critical on your own progress. I always said to my teachers at school that I would own my own house at the age of 25😂😂😂I laugh inside at the thought of it. Could I have reached that goal? Of course I could have. But the problem was that I didn’t have adequate knowledge about how to even go about getting a house that the goal slipped by me. Here I am 2 years after that deadline paying £635 a month in rent lol. How life has a funny way of making you question yourself.
So I’ve made a list of 20 things to keep in mind during your twenties. This list has been created to help you stay on track at all times whilst staying grounded.
- Your twenties is a good time to build strong financial foundations
- Every job move you make you should aim to increase your salary by 3-5000
- Re training yourself and unlearning bad behaviours at this age will increase your potential
- Holidays are essential to your overall wellbeing and world knowledge
- A good group of friends can make the difference between loneliness and secure attachments
- Sex during this period will get better, you will expand your experiences
- Your weight may change drastically over this period. But that’s okay, your finding what fits you.
- Experiences, experiences, experiences….. your at the stage now that you are earning your own money. Use it to start a new hobby or activity
- Make smart financial decisions, create a rule for spending. And spend wisely…. balenciagas on a 21,000 salary may be living above your means
- Give your friendships space to grow. Your friendships will go through changes, people work to different schedules etc. Try not to judge your friends for changing, roll with it. Grow together
- Don’t be afraid to ask for promotions and pay rises. Yes you can do this at work. Evaluate your work rate and set the goal for your progression
- Don’t label yourself… some of your friends may secure an amazing job or may have just gotten married. Don’t judge yourself by other people’s timeline. What is meant for you will happen on your own timeline. Learn to trust the process
- Ageing…. for us ladies… the belly and waist is not going to be as snatched as it was at the age of 19…. maintainence will be required lol (damn do I miss my 19yr old body)
- Don’t limit yourself… age is just a number. It doesn’t matter if your 21 or 27. Take of those caps that you have on goals. The sky is the limit.
- Balance… adulting is stressful and these are the years to find balance within yourself…. find what works for you and use it to manage your stress
- Defining your character…. who are you really… what do you want and what do you stand for. Let’s those questions sit with you for a while
- Be your own biggest fan… your twenties is a time that it’s okay to be a bit selfish and put your dreams first. Promote yourself and go hard for what you want.
- Relationships come and go…. learn to be comfortable by yourself because people do come in and out of your life and you may go through many friendships at this stage
- Dating is a minefield…. tinder dates and hook ups have really changed the dating game. Get your hard hat on and protect your space… the journey can get rough
- Love yourself unapologetically…. yes you will make mistakes, we all will. Don’t allow that to build up to self-loathing. When you f**k up, evaluate the situation and learn from it. Even a bad situation is another opportunity to learn more about yourself and grow. Remember we never take an L